Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Project Ideas and Puzzle Pieces

Time to start putting them together.  Here are my current ideas, feel free to leave feedback, the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

I have already started setting up my wiki with classroom resources.  Once I get a microphone, Id like to make some brief tutorial videos of how to log-in, navigate, and use some of the resources that are and will be available.  In order to continue to find resources, I would like to have students find their own online resource during each major topic/unit for the year.  These could be simulations, video clips, web pages, etc.  Each student could then post what they have found in the discussions portion of the wiki.  These resources could then be viewed and commented on by other students along the way.  This could potentially clear up lots of confusion along the way without eating a ton of class time.  Not sure on specifics, but Im thinking I could have certain requirements of the students, such as having them grade the resource, explain their rationale, and have them view/comment on a minimum number of others resources.  If the resources are really good, I would add them to the "official" resources portion of the wiki.
Signing off

4 comments:

  1. I really like your idea of having the students add their own favorite resources to your wiki. It will allow them to buy in and if you are anything like me- teach you a thing or two. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your wiki! I also like the idea of having your students post their own online resource. I have a question - how many students do you have? I have about 125 - would you required students to post something different than those already posted? While I love this idea I'm wondering how I could manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I typically have 130-150 students. I might try organizing the discussions into the different classes. It would be easier to manage for both myself and the students. Not sure on details yet, but even if students choose to browse the other classes to hijack a fellow classmates' resource, they are still using other resources available, which is the main idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned some things just looking at your wiki. :) It might be kind of fun to have the kids (maybe for their last one) find some kind of off the wall resource and justify why it relates to the current topic.

    ReplyDelete